Top Ten Tuesday used to be a weekly post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, but was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl. “It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.” This is definitely something I can understand and want to participate in.
I’m sure I’m not the only book lover with some pet peeves. I know I did a post about this in the past, but it was only 5 and I’m fully confident that I can come up with 10 different pet peeves. So, here’s some more things that truly irk me:
- Stickers on books. YES I KNOW IT IS A MOVIE. I DO NOT NEED A STICKER ON THE BOOK. Those stickers are impossible to get off, too. Why ruin a gorgeous cover with a stupid sticker?
2. People who talk to me while I’m reading. Especially if they’re saying something stupid, like … “Oh, you’re reading a book? What’s it called?” WHILE LOOKING AT THE TITLE.
3. When there is no character growth. What is worse than reading an entire book and waiting for a character to show some kind of growth and then they just …. don’t. Yes, Confessions of a Shopaholic, I’m looking at you.
4. A sticker that covers the blurb on the back. This doesn’t happen often, but occasionally I’ll come across this at the library. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHAT THE BOOK IS ABOUT?
5. Spelling and grammar issues. It’s so hard to stay in a story when there’s poor editing. Constantly. I’ve definitely DNFd books because of this.
6. Book covers not matching. A Court of Silver Flames has completely screwed up my aesthetic, especially since the new (not so pretty) cover doesn’t match all the beautiful covers of the books that came before it. Plus, it feels like a shameful marketing ploy to make us buy extra copies of the books we ALREADY BOUGHT.
7. When an author dies and the series continues…but doesn’t quite match the previous style. I have heard about this with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, where the original author died and they had another author finish the series, but didn’t really fit the same style. I haven’t had the desire to continue the series.
8. Delayed releases. I totally understand why this happens, but it doesn’t mean I don’t get upset and frustrated by it. Especially when it’s a sequel that I’ve been waiting for since finishing the previous book. Or when I’ve been waiting MORE THAN A DECADE FOR A BOOK THAT HAS NO RELEASE DATE IN SIGHT (I’m definitely giving side-eye to GRRM).
9. When a movie cover replaces the original cover of the book. Yes, I know movies are popular, but I like to create images of the characters in my head. If I wanted to picture the movie, I’D BUY THE MOVIE.
10. Lending a book to someone and getting it back in worse condition. Or not at all. If I’ve deigned to lend you one of my babies, I expect you to treat it well and return it.
What are your bookish pet peeves?
Categories: Top Ten Tuesday