Top Ten Tuesday used to be a weekly post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, but was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl. “It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.” This is definitely something I can understand and want to participate in.
This week’s prompt is: Books I would hand to someone who claims to not like reading.
I’ve definitely come across quite a few people who claim that they don’t like reading. I’m a firm believer that just about anyone can fall in love with reading, as long as they find a book that interests them, so my recommendation really depends on the genre, or the kind of TV shows or movies that interest them. Instead of sticking with the prompt as it’s written, I’m going to add my own little spin on it.
Here’s some of my personal favorites that I’d recommend to someone based on movies or shows:
- If you enjoyed Vikings: Check outThe Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell. This series actually inspired a show on Netflix, and it’s addictive. Even my nephew who doesn’t read, devoured the entire series.
- If you love anything related to Robin Hood or Pirates of the Caribbean: Check out The Lost Legends by Cait Marie. I happen to love this indie series, and it’s the best possible mash-up of Robin Hood, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Tangled.
- If you love King Arthur shows or movies: Pick up The Guinevere Deception by Kiersten White. King Arthur tales with a feminist twist. Guinevere isn’t exactly a damsel in distress here.
- If you enjoyed Enola Holmes: Grab Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco. Historical fiction? ✅ Feminist character? ✅ Awesome crime solving? ✅ It’s a hit.
- If you loved Outlander: Read the book, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. After reading it, you’ll see exactly how much the show leaves out.
- If you enjoyed Harry Potter: Don’t wait to grab The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend. It’s the perfect story for middle grade readers on up, and I highly recommend the audiobook version!
- If you like Dune: Pick up Red Rising by Pierce Brown. This is one of my favorite series, and despite my aversion to books/movies set in space, I couldn’t help but fall in love with this one.
- If you like The Godfather: You need to check out Jade City by Fonda Lee. It’s about two clan (read: gang) families in Kekon who have awesome powers endowed by jade abilities, and it’s an incredible epic saga. I dare you not to love it!
- If you were a huge fan of Beauty and the Beast: You’ll probably enjoy A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas. It’s a fantasy spin-off of Beauty and the Beast.
- If you loved Love, Simon: Go grab Kate in Waiting by Becky Albertalli. They’re both written by the same author!
What do you think? Any additions?
Categories: Top Ten Tuesday