Top Ten Tuesday used to be a weekly post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, but was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl. “It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.” This is definitely something I can understand and want to participate in.
This week’s prompt is a Valentine’s Day/Love Freebie, but you know that I like to do my own thing. Plus, I definitely think that Valentine’s day is already such an overrated “holiday.”
So instead, I wanted to call attention to the other, often overlooked focus of February – Black History Month. For today’s post, I’m going to highlight ten (okay, eleven) books by Black authors that feature main characters who are Black that I loved. In no particular order, here is my list:
- Wings of Ebony by J. Elle
- When No One is Watching by Alyssa Cole
- Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid
- Get a Life, Chloe Brown and Take a Hint, Dani Brown by Talia Hibbert
- With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo
- You Should See Me in a Crown by Leah Johnson
- The Black Kids by Christina Hammonds Reed
- Cinderella is Dead by Kalynn Bayron
- A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Morrow
- Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams
What are some other great books written by Black authors about Black characters that you’ve read? Drop some suggestions below!
Categories: Top Ten Tuesday