I’ve really missed doing Friday Favorites, and since no one was currently hosting it, Cait @ Functionally Fictional decided to jump into the gap. Each week, she provides a prompt, and I get to talk about my favorite books that fit the topic. Feel free to join in – the more the merrier!
As an animal lover, I love seeing animals in a story. Although I’m super allergic to most animals, that’s part of the beauty of reading – I can experience all kinds of animals up close and personal without all those pesky issues like not being able to breathe. And while I’m really glad that my dogs don’t kick up my allergies, fictional and magical animals are always safe, at least symptom-wise. So here’s some of my favorite magical or fictional animals:
- Rex from Dead Water by C.A. Fletcher — this dog was the perfect pet. He was loyal, sweet, brave, and protective, and one of my favorite characters in the story.
- Welly from The Beacon Bakeshop series by Darci Hannah — he’s a huge, goofy Newfoundland that has won over everyone in the small town the stories are set in, and how could I possibly resist him?
- Solovey from the Winternight series by Katherine Arden — this magical horse always manages to make his way onto every list of fictional animals that I’ve created ever since reading the series, and I absolutely love him.
- Vala from Among the Beasts and Briars by Ashley Poston — I never pictured myself listing an anthropomorphized bear on a list like this, but here I am. Vala is an awesome bear that becomes a protective guide for Cerys and her fox on their journey, and I loved her sense of humor as well.
- Bonedog from Nettle and Bone by T. Kingfisher — this is a magical creature in the shape of a dog made out of bones, and he won my heart really quickly in this quirky book.
- The cat from The Ex Hex by Erin Sterling — unfortunately, I can’t remember the name of this darling cat, but I loved how the cat started talking, and could easily picture my own dogs saying similar things.
- The neighbor’s stalker cat from Witch Please by Ann Aguirre— another cat who I forgot the name of, but I love how it would just constantly pop over and demand love from the witch next door.
- Stanley from the A Coffee Lover’s Mystery series by Tara Lush — this perky little Shih Tzu puppy is one of the many things I adore about this series! He’s sweet, full of energy, and adds the perfect amount of fluff to this cozy mystery series.
- Corra in the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness — what could I possibly resist about a badass firedrake that is protective and terrifying all at the same time? It’s the ultimate in magical creatures at the heart of this story about witches and vampires.
What are some of your favorite magical creatures or fictional pets?
Categories: Friday Favorites