Top Ten Tuesday used to be a weekly post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, but was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl. “It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.” This is definitely something I can understand and want to participate in.
This week’s topic is supposed to be “funny book titles,” but in case you haven’t noticed, I don’t generally read a lot of book with funny titles. And by “a lot,” I clearly mean “any.” So I decided to go off-topic and make my own prompt. Which is top ten favorite side characters, because the side characters can really make a difference in getting me a lot more invested in the story, and elevate a good story into a great story. Here’s my top ten favorite side characters (in no particular order):
- Sevro from The Red Rising saga by Pierce Brown – he was one of my favorite characters in the entire series, and grew on me more with each book.
- Kenji from the Shatter Me series by Tahareh Mafi – not only is he really funny, he’s actually a great guy and the kind of friend that I want to have my back.
- Magnus from The Mortal Instruments/The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare – Magnus really made the series for me. I really liked him, and always looked forward to scenes with him in it.
- Tycho from A Heart So Fierce and Broken by Brigid Kemmerer – I adored his character. He’s adorable, fiercely loyal, and shows up exactly where he needed to be in the story.
- Mor from the A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J. Maas – she was one of my favorite side characters. I couldn’t wait to learn more about her, and she was the perfect mix of sweet and tough.
- Marshall and Benedikt from These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong – these two have such an awesome dynamic that never failed to make me laugh. I kept expecting to see them finally confess their love, but … maybe I’ll have to wait until book 2?
- Lysandra from the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas – I actually didn’t really like her at first, but she really grew on me over the course of the series. She wound up playing an important part in the story, and seriously? Everyone should be blessed with a friend like Lysandra.
- Kamala from The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi – I absolutely loved this side character. She was funny and sassy and protective, with a little vicious streak … maybe I identify with her a little bit? haha oops
- Jiang from The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang – oh come on, if you’ve read this, you’ll know what I’m talking about. Jiang was great! He’s funny, but still has a method to his madness.
- Hypnos from The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi – his character is so over the top, while working so hard to hide his insecurities that he was still relatable. I couldn’t help but love him, and he was one of those side characters that really made the story, even in a big cast of main characters.
What are some of your favorite side characters?
Categories: Top Ten Tuesday